Recipe Type: Cake
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Lightly grease and line a 2lb loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
- Finely grate the orange rind, then peel the orange once the rind has been grated off, cutting away the pith, and slice the orange flesh thinly.
- Place the rind in a large bowl and add the margarine, sugar, eggs, carrots, flour, mixed spice and mix well until thoroughly blended.
- Add the tablespoon of milk if necessary to give a dropping consistency.
- Spoon into the prepared loaf tin.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about one hour or until just firm to touch.
- Remove the cake from the oven and arrange the thin slices of orange over the top.
- Brush with the honey and return the cake to the oven for a further fifteen minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes then turn out and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
200g (7oz) Mortons Self Raising Flour,
150g (5oz) soft butter,
150g (5oz) light muscavdo sugar,
175g (6oz) carrots peeled and grated,
2 eggs beaten,
1/2 tsp mixed spice,
1 tbsp milk,
2tbsp clear honey