Recipe Type: Bread
- Pre-heat the oven to 195C/ 390F/ Gas Mark 6.
- In a large bowl place the Mortons Coarse Wholemeal and sift in the Mortons Plain Flour.
- Rub the softened butter into this mix until it appears like fine breadcrumbs.
- Mix in the rest of the ingredients except the milk, adding this after and mixing lightly into a soft dough.
- Place the mixture into a well greased 2lb loaf tin (N.B. this wheaten bread mix can also be baked as a bannock. Instead of a loaf tin, line a baking sheet with parchment and shape the mixture into a round, slicing a cross into the top with a sharp knife)
- Bake for roughly 40 minutes or until the bread makes a hollow sound when tapped.
- Turn out to cool on a wire rack.
225g (8oz) Mortons Coarse Wholemeal Flour
140g (5oz) Mortons Plain Flour
50g (2oz) butter
40g (2oz) caster sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
250mls (1/2 pint) milk
Fat for greasing (optional)