- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C/325°F/ Gas Mark 3.
- Line and grease an 18cms/ 7inch square tin.
- In a heavy based saucepan combine the butter and sugar and heat gently until all the sugar has dissolved, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat, cool slightly, then blend in the egg and vanilla essence.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a separate bowl along with the salt.
- Add the dates and mix to coat in the flour.
- Stir the flour mix into the pan with the almonds and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Cool in the tin and when cold cut into about 20 squares.
75g (3oz) Mortons Plain Flour
75g (3oz) butter
75g (3oz) soft light brown sugar
1 egg beaten
1tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
50g (2oz) chopped dates
50g (2oz) chopped blanched almonds
Fat for greasing (optional)