- In a small bowl, soak the dates in 125ml of boiling water and leave to cool.
- Pre-heat the oven to 160C/ 140C Fan/ Gas 3. Lightly grease and line a baking tray (28 x 19 x 3cm).
- Blend the dates in either a food processor or with a handheld blender to create a thick paste. In a small mixing bowl, beat the eggs and stir in the buttermilk, then add this egg mix to the date paste and quickly mix together to form a thick paste.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix together the oil, black treacle, maple syrup and fresh grated ginger in a bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, add together the flour, the ground ginger, cinnamon and the sugar and quickly mix together before pouring in the date and egg mixture along with the treacle mix. Stir all the ingredients together until just combined and so it resembles a thick batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking tray and bake for approx. 40 minutes. Insert a skewer into the middle of the traybake and if it comes out clean, the traybake is ready.
- Turn the traybake out onto a wire rack and leave to cool. Store in an airtight container, wrapped in parchment paper for up to 3 days.
250g Mortons Soda Bead Flour
140g pitted whole dates, roughly chopped
75ml rapeseed oil
75g black treacle
50 maple syrup
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 large egg
1 tbsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground cinnamon
50g muscovado sugar