- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/ 350°F/ Gas Mark 4.
- Lightly grease and line two 1lb loaf tins with greaseproof paper.
- Add all of the ingredients into a large bowl and beat well for about 2 minutes until the mixture is combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the two tins and level the surface of each.
- Bake in the pre heated oven for about 30 minutes or until the cakes spring back when the surface is lightly pressed. The cakes should also have dropped slightly from the sides of the tins.
- While cakes are baking make the topping.
- Measure the lemon juice and sugar into a small bowl and stir to mix.
- Spread the lemon mixture over the baked loaves while they are still hot and then leave to totally cool within the tins.
- Turn out once the cakes have cooled.
175g (6oz) Mortons Self-Raising Flour,
100g (4oz) softened butter
175g (6oz) caster sugar
4 tbsp milk
1 finely grated lemon rind.
For the icing:
Juice of 1 lemon
100g (4oz) granulated sugar