- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Line and grease an 18cm/ 7in round cake tin
- In a mixing bowl, sift in the flour and add in the salt.
- In another mixing bowl cream the butter and sugar together well and beat in the eggs slowly.
- Fold in the flour, cherries, dried fruit, peel and ground almonds into the creamed mixture. Add in the lemon rind and mix together.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and make a slight hollow in the centre.
- Bake for 20 minutes by which time the hollow should have filled in. Arrange the split almonds on top.
- Return the cake to the oven, baking for a further 40-45 minutes, then reduce the temperature of the oven to 160C/ 325F/ Gas Mark 3 and bake for a further one hour.
- Turn out and leave to cool on a wire rack.
|200g (7oz) Mortons Self-Raising Flour
1/4 tsp salt
150g (5oz) butter
150g (5oz) caster sugar
4 eggs beaten
100g (4oz) glace cherries quartered
150g (5oz) currants
150g (5oz) sultanas
100g (4oz) seedless raisins
50g(2oz) mixed peel
50g (2oz) ground almonds
Grated rind of 1 lemon
50g (2oz) blanched split almonds
Fat for greasing