- Pre-heat the oven to 170C/ Gas Mark 3. Line a 12 hole muffin tray with muffin cases
- You can use a stand mixer or a hand mixer for this recipe, or a wooden spoon will work just as well if you have the muscles for it!
- Crack your eggs into the bowl, then add the butter/margarine and caster sugar. Mix on high for 1 minute.
- Next, add the two flours and mix slowly until combined. Gradually add your milk with the mixer on slow. Make sure to scrape down the sides of your bowl to catch any lumps. Once all the milk has been added, blast the mixture on high for about 10 seconds to get a smooth batter.
- Add your lemon extract and poppyseeds and mix together. Divide the batter evenly between the 12 muffin cases.
- Bake for 22 minutes, all ovens are different but you will know they are ready when they have a light golden brown appearance. Leave aside to cool on a wire rack.
- To make your buttercream beat the unsalted butter on a high speed until soft and glossy, then sift in your icing sugar. Use a slow speed to combine the two ingredients, then gradually pour in the freshly squeezed lemon juice while still mixing on slow. Once all the juice has been added turn your mixer to high speed and allow two minutes for the buttercream to become really fluffy. If you feel it is too thick you can add some milk to soften it.
- Once your cupcakes are completely cool use a piping bag and nozzle or a palette knife to top your lemon cupcakes with the buttercream. They can be decorated with a few extra poppy seeds or some lemon zest. Enjoy
Head over to The Lily Pink Bakery to see all their delicious bakes!
2 free range eggs
110g butter (room temperature)
225g caster sugar
120g Mortons Plain Flour
150g Mortons Self-Raising Flour
2tsp lemon extract
2tbsp poppy seeds
350g icing sugar
125g unsalted butter (room temperature)
50ml freshly squeezed lemon juice