- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/ 400F/ Gas Mark 6.
- Place the flour into a bowl and add the sugar to the flour if using.
- Add the buttermilk to the flour and mix quickly and lightly to create a soft dough. If baking as a bannock, turn the dough out onto a floured surface and roll the dough out to 1 inch in depth.
- Make a cross on top of the dough.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the bread creates a hollow sound when tapped. Alternatively, bake the dough in a 2lb loaf tin for 35 minutes.
- Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
500g (1lb) Mortons Wheaten Bread Mix