- Mix the butter and the brown sugar together with a wooden spoon or a mixer until it appears light in texture and pale in colour.
- Add in the flour and stir in until it is roughly mixed to form a dough.
- Press the dough thinly and evenly across an 8 inch square baking tin.
- With a knife, line the surface of the dough into 6 rows and 4 columns for cutting later, then pierce the dough with a fork across the surface to give an even and textured appearance.
- Preheat the oven to 160C, 325F or Gas Mark 3.
- Cover the dough and place in the refrigerator for half an hour before baking for 25 minutes or until the dough is a light brown colour.
- Once removed from the oven and still in the baking tin, cut the shortbread using the drawn lines and let cool before placing into an airtight container.
160g (6oz) Mortons Plain Flour
110g (4oz) unsalted softened butter
50g (2oz) brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt