- Pre-heat oven to 180C/ 350F/ Gas Mark 4, line 2x20cm sandwich tins with baking parchment.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl with a wooden spoon or an electric mixeruntil light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time whilst still mixing until the eggs are fully mixed in.
- Seive the cocoa powder into the mixture along with the vanilla extract.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl and add the salt.
- Slowly add half this flour into the chocolate mixture, then half of the buttermilk.
- Mix this in well and then add the remaining half of the flour and the buttermilk,continue to mix well.
- Add two tablespoons of red food colouring and continue mixing.
- In a small mug, mix the white wine vinegar and the bicarbonate of soda then add to the mixture.
- Mix some more.
- Split the mixture into the to separate sandwich tins and pace in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Check the cake mixture is ready by piercing the middle of the cake with a knife, if the knife is clean once removed, the cake is ready.
- Leave this to cool.
- For the icing, place the butter, cream cheese and icing sugar in a food mixture or into a large bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Use half the icing to smooth over one side of one of the cakes and sandwich these together.
- Use the rest of the icing to cover the top and sides of the cake and grate dark chocolate for decoration.
300g (11oz) Mortons Self-Raising Flour
120g (4oz) unsalted butter
300g (11oz) white caster sugar
2 eggs, 50g (2oz) cocoa powder
2tbsp red colour food dye
1tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1tsp of bicarbonate of soda
100g (4oz) unsalted butter
600g (1.3lb) icing sugar
250g (9oz) full fat cream cheese
Dark chocolate for decoration