- Place the sugar into a medium saucepan and melt over medium heat until a dark brown colour. Be careful not to over heat at this stage.
- Mix the salt into the double cream. Remove the sugar from the heat and slowly/carefully pour in half the salt and cream mix. Watch out for the bubbling which will ensue!
- Once the bubbling stopes, add in the remaining salt and double cream along with the butter.
- Check the mixture for any lumps and if any are present, place the mixture back onto the heat until smooth, mixing continually and being careful not to curdle the mixture.
- Set the smooth mixture aside and start prepping the brownies.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/ 350F/ Gas Mark 4.
- Grease a 9x13in light baking sheet and line with parchment (leave some hanging over the edge to make removing the brownies easier).
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder and salt together into a bowl and set aside.
- Place a saucepan over a medium heat, place the chocolate and butter into the pan and stir until melted. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar until thick and pale.
- Whisk in the cooled chocolate mixture and then add the flour mixture and fold until just combined.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared pan and level out with a spatula.
- Add a thin layer of the caramel, making sure to leave the edges clean.
- Add the remaining brownie mix and level out. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with just a few moist crumbs.
- Cool in the pan completely before removing and cutting into squares.
80g (3oz) Mortons Plain Flour
3tbsp cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
300g (11oz) dark chocolate
150g (5oz) unsalted butter
150g (5oz) caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
150g (5oz) granulated sugar
125ml double cream
10g (0.5oz) softened salted butter
Pinch of salt