- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC/350F/Gas Mark 4.
- Grease and line two 18cm (7 inch) sandwich tins.
- Sieve the flour and cocoa into a bowl.
- Add the sugar and mix well.
- Make a well in the centre and add the syrup, eggs, oil and milk.
- Beat well with electric whisk until smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into the two tins and bake for 25 – 30 minutes until risen and firm to the touch.
- Remove from oven, leave to cool before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- To make your butter icing, place the butter in a bowl and beat until soft.
- Gradually sift and beat in the icing sugar and cocoa powder then add enough milk to make the icing fluffy and spreadable.
- Sandwich the two cakes together with the butter icing and cover the top of the cake with butter icing and sides if there is enough icing left over. Additionally, top with some chocolate chips or buttons to decorate.
175g (6oz) Mortons Self-Raising Flour
2 tbsp cocoa powder
150g (5oz) caster sugar
2 eggs beaten
150ml sunflower oil
150ml semi skimmed milk
2tbsp golden syrup.
Coating & Filling:
75g (3oz) unsalted butter
175g (6oz) icing sugar
3tbsp cocoa powder
A dash of milk