This delicious apple and almond cake has a moist and velvety texture.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/ 350F/ Gas Mark 4.
- Cream the butter and sugar together and then gradually beat in one egg at a time.
- Mix the flour and the ground almonds into the mix.
- Divide the mixture into three well greased 1lb loaf tins or into one large flan ring.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and well risen.
- Scatter flaked almonds on top and bake for 10 minutes to toast.
- Leave to cool then remove from the baking tin and lightly dust with icing sugar
N.B. For a less sweet twist, instead of the cooking apples, try using well drained and halved pears or stoned and halved plums.
200g (7oz) Mortons Self-Raising Flour
250g (9oz) caster sugar
200g (7oz) softened butter
150g (5oz) ground almonds
3 cooking apples (halved pears or halved & stoned plums also work)
2tbsp strawberry jam
1tbsp flaked almonds