- Pre-heat the oven to 160C/ 320F/ Gas Mark 4.
- In a bowl sift the flour and add in the bicarbonate of soda, sugar, vanilla extract and butter.
- Mix with hands until the mixture is thoroughly combined and appears like fine breadcrumbs.
- Add in the egg yolk and continue to mix together.
- Turn the mixture out onto a floured surface and add the dark chocolate chips, mixing these in as you create a ball of dough.
- Break the dough into 20 even round pieces and roll these out until they are approximately 1 cm in depth.
- Line a baking tray with a baking sheet and place the rounds on this, leaving a couple of cms in between each round.
- Chill the dough in freezer for 10 minutes before baking for 8-10 minutes or until they appear golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack.
200g (7oz) Mortons Coarse Wholemeal Flour
50g (2oz) muscovado sugar
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1tsp vanilla extract
50g (2oz) softened butter cut into cubes
1 egg yolk
60g (2oz) dark chocolate chips