- Whisk the warm water with the yeast and sugar until the yeast is dissolved.
- Cover and let stand in a warm place for 10 minutes.
- Sift flour and salt three times into a large bowl.
- Add the yeast mixture, half of the ghee and all the yogurt.
- Mix into a soft dough then knead on a floured surface for about 5 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a large greased bowl, cover and let stand in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours or until the dough is doubled in size.
- Punch down dough then knead for 5 minutes.
- Divide dough into 6 pieces.
- Roll each piece out into 20cm round naans.
- Cover a baking tray with foil and grease the foil.
- Brush the naan with a little of the remaining ghee and sprinkle with some of the kalonji.
- Cook naan one at a time under a very hot grill for about 2 minutes on each side or until puffed and just browned.
250g (9oz) Mortons Plain Flour
175ml warm water (45oC)
1 tsp dried active baking yeast
1 tsp caster sugar
1 tsp salt
4 tbsp ghee
2 tbsp plain yoghurt
2 tsp kalonii (onion seed)