- Pre-heat the oven to 190C/ 374F/ Gas 5.
- Butter two 20cm sandwich tins and line with non-stick baking paper.
- In a large bowl, beat all of the cake ingredients together until you have a smooth and soft batter.
- Divide the mixture between the tins, smooth the surface with a spatula or the back of a spoon, then bake for about 20 minutes or until golden and the cake springs back when pressed.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the filling, cream the butter until smooth, then gradually beat in the icing sugar and the vanilla extract.
- Spread the butter cream over the bottom of one of the sponges; top it with jam and sandwich the second sponge on top.
- Dust with icing, place some berries on top and serve with clotted cream or ice-cream.
200g (7oz) Mortons Self-Raising Flour
200g (7oz) caster sugar
200g (7oz) butter
1tsp baking powder
100g (4oz) butter softened
140g (5oz) icing sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
340g (12oz) strawberry jam
1 tbsp icing sugar