- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4.
- Break up the dark chocolate.
- Put into a pyrex bowl and melt gently.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and leave to cool until needed.
- In a separate bowl cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the eggs, beating well after each addition and add the vanilla essence.
- Add in the cooled melted chocolate mixture then mix in thoroughly.
- Sift the flour and cocoa onto the mixture and gently stir in.
- When completely combined spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and spread evenly.
- Bake in the heated oven for about 20 mins until firm to the touch but still a bit fudgy. The chocolate will continue to cook slightly for a few mins after coming out of the oven.
- Remove the tin from the oven and set on a wire cooling rack and leave to cool completely before cutting into squares.
60g (3oz) Mortons Plain Flour
2x100g dark chocolate bars
100g (4oz) unsalted butter, very soft
250g (9oz) caster sugar
4 large eggs beaten
1tsp vanilla essence
60g (3oz) cocoa powder
15cm square brownie tin or baking tin greased and base-lined