- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/ Gas Mark 4.
- Break up the dark chocolate and put into a pyrex bowl. Carefully place the pyrex bowl over a saucepan of barely simmering hot water to slowly melt the chocolate.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and leave to cool until needed (do not let it harden).
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the eggs, beating well after each addition so the mixture combines then add in the vanilla essence and mix.
- Add in the cooled melted chocolate mixture then mix in thoroughly.
- Sift the flour and cocoa onto the mixture and gently fold through.
- When totally combined, spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and spread out evenly.
- Bake in the heated oven for about 20 mins until firm to the touch but still a bit fudgy.
- Remove the tin from the oven and set on a wire cooling rack and leave to cool completely before cutting into squares.
60g (3oz) Mortons Plain Flour
2x100g dark chocolate bars
100g (4oz) unsalted butter (cut into cubes and very soft)
250g (9oz) caster sugar
4 large eggs (beaten)
1tsp vanilla essence
60g (3oz) cocoa powder
15cm square brownie tin or baking tin greased and base-lined